Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Toys are a Man's World-- Help ME Change it!

So I am trying to get into the NYC Toy fair this month as a blogger but it is nearly impossible. See, I don't have enough hits on my humble niche blog.

But here is what I am worried about. I told you I went to the Nuremberg fair as a blogger and it was a great experience. That being said, it was SHOCKING how few women there were.

The Press Room was full of MALE writers and photographers with just a sprinkle of women (often accompanying husbands).

The Press Tour (this is where companies can pay extra and have their wares paraded in front of the cameras before the fair begins) was full of pomp and ceremony with scantly-clad girls running around on the catwalk (dressed as Barbies. No need to talk more about that). Carnevale girls from Brazil - maybe - dancing something like Samba with feathers covering their nether regions (must advertise for the World Cup, after all!). In short, it was pretty nasty. There were two companies run by women in this press room, but they were stuck off in the corner waaaaay over on the other end of the room (small companies, btw, without all the backing and big money the other companies have, so kudos to you, girls!). It was really a show for the male buyers and distributors in attendance. Hmmm.

Now, I have been to a lot of fairs in my day, many of which were man-heavy, but none seemed as dangerous as this one.

Now I realize that my asking people to visit my blog to get some hits is not the way to change the situation, but, then again, if you need to have 2000 hits and talk about toys to be considered a blogger for this fair, then so be it.

Please help this feminist LION get into that fair and write about it with a different voice than the one we're used to.

Thank you! Please pass this on. Share it. I promise I will give you more info as we go along, especially about the companies that are doing the right thing to promote toys that leave the world a better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment