Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Nostalgia for the OLD LEGOS

I think my whole generation loved Legos when we were growing up. I, personally, remember giant boxes of them that opened with a flap top. All of us kids got them one year for Christmas (1977? Not to date myself or anything...). I remember the colors, they were the primary ones: Green, Yellow, Red. We played with them for hours. This picture here is NOT the legos I grew up with (no pastels in our sets). 

What happened to those? At some point lego went all "KIT" on us. Suddenly you had to make specific models and scenes. Booorrrring. But I suppose as companies get bigger, they get scared of losing market share, they need to create a collector's mentality in you, make you feel like you need to keep adding to your collection, keep you buying. But I think this was a mistake. The sets made a lot of us lose interest-- the boy kits and the girl kits (don't get me started on those). 

My own daughter has a set of GIRL LEGOS (Hello Kitty Play house that someone gave her for her 3rd birthday). Sure, she plays with them sometimes, but the house thing got old after the first ten times she built it. Now she puts them together and makes Pink and white towers, but she has more possibilities with colored blocks, which have taken over market share in this house. 

But nothing can replace those old legos. Klementina has her kids playing with hers. You can tell they are vintage by looking at them. The colors are the originals, they are smaller than the new ones, her kids go nuts over them. She said she would add to them, but you can't find them like this anymore. 

Interesting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment