Saturday, September 21, 2013

I now have all the time in the world to do what I need to do

I always feel like I am late for something. I look at my watch, I panic. I obsess. I show up to everything early. I mean like really early.

And then I wait. I sometimes have a book with me. Or my notebook. That helps.

But yesterday I tried something new. I decided to change my perception of time from something that is SCARCE to something that is ABUNDANT.

Results? OMG. I was very productive. At every moment I fought against my natural urge NOT to do something because I "didn't have time." and you know what? I had time to do a hell of a lot of things. Way more than I ever thought possible. Here they are.

1. Woke up, took a shower, left the house.
2. Took the fast bus as far is it would go.
3. Got off, took the other bus to the station.
4. Bought my train tickets for the day.
5. Found the bus in front of the station (Surpise 1) and took it to the university.
6. Signed a contract there.
7. Found a friend there and had coffee with her (here is where I started sweating, but I did it anyway)
8. Walked 200m to the apartment we are renovating (my bus passed by, sweating sweating) and went in, grabbed a bunch of scrap material I knew needed to go into the garbage bin in the street, dumped it. (This stop, which was not URGENT and not PLANNED ahead of time was the act of COURAGE that defined the rest of my day).
9. Got off the bus at court house (Surprise 2, who knew it stopped there?) and ran to P. Oberdan to take the bus to Prosecco (more sweat, felt grateful. Couldn't believe I made it).
10. Arrived 10 minutes later than my self-imposed arrival time to get baby at daycare. No big deal.
11. Laughed and played with daughter at bus stop because I was not worried about time. Did not feel late or panicky. How fun!
12. Got on bus back downtown, called mother-in-law to pick up daughter in 20 minutes.
13. Arrived downtown, packed sleeping daughter into mother-in-law's car, asked her to drop me off at station.
14. Went to newspaper kiosk to ask if a magazine had come out. It hadn't.
15. Went to grocery store in station to buy water.
16. Got on train 4 minutes before it was supposed to leave (normally at least 30 minutes before).
17. Arrived in Cervignano, Klem picked me up.
18. Had lunch
19 Drove to meeting, finished it.
20. Went to visit another client just to say hi (Another act of COURAGE because not URGENT or PLANNED):
21. Went to train station. RAN to the train and stamped ticket at 4:58 and got on. Train left at 4:59. (Did I mention I had to reapply deodorant three times yesterday?)
22. Felt HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY and relaxed on the train.
23. Arrived in Trieste at 6:07, had to pee and actually WENT TO THE BATHROOM.
24. Arrived at Italian American Association to see guest speaker from my town speak. Felt relaxed.
25. Daughter and husband arrived, we went for pizza with group (no plan ahead of time).
26. Came home, put daughter to bed.
27. Had a drink with husband and talked about the day. Smiled, Laughed.
28. At 11:00 we went to bed.

And I wasn't late for anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment