Wednesday, September 11, 2013

My Portable Office

The best thing about my office is that I no longer have to pretend I am working regular business hours to keep from looking like a loser. It is now socially acceptable to call people after 10pm (especially if they are in a time zone six hours behind me), I can blog in the wee hours if I can't sleep and don't have to save it as a draft until the next day (oh that? I was in a different time zone when I published that one. I am so international!). There is more freedom, more international-ness more rockin-ness than the old days and it's all about Me Me Me in the center of it!

That being said, I was on the phone last night with my New York Partner (read, my Brother) and I was whispering. See, my Executive Assistant (read, my 2.5 year-old, Eva) was taking a power nap after a long day of complicated negotiations (why home is better than nursery school, why popsicles should replace vegetables, why climbing book shelves and doing somersaults off the side of the couch are the ideas of tomorrow) and I felt like I needed to give her the correct balance of leadership (lights OUT after 3 books and 2 stories) and autonomy (ok the door can stay open just a crack) to increase output (wake up at 7, get dressed in day clothes and have breakfast rather than being potato sacked out the door in pajamas).

But that's the thing about the modern office. My conference room sometimes looks like (feels like and often is) my bedroom, but it's still a helluva lot better than the old days.

No comments:

Post a Comment