Friday, December 12, 2014

Random Tips for Chefs going International *

1. There is marketing strength in numbers.

Get to know other chefs. Do kick-ass events with them. Tell people about it! We love chefs who are team players. It is a great way to increase your network and viability.

2. Learn English well.

 It is not too late. The time you spent on it in the past was not wasted. Yes, you ARE a "language person". Need encouragement? Tell me, I believe in YOU!

3. Don't be a snob or a person who is not Really a snob but just acts like one.

I know you are a genuinely wonderful person, I do! The more popular you get, however, the more people will want to be in your divine presence. It is part of the Experience. If you are shy you may be perceived as cold or arrogant. Try smiling as a default expression. Talk to everyone who visits your restaurant, not just the VIPs. They are your guests, not invaders of your territory.

I do not remember faces well, so I have developed my own compensation technique you can try. Treat EVERYONE as if you went to middle school with them and haven't seen them since. It works. Never say "pleased to Meet you," but "Nice to See you." ;)

4.  Cultivate a positive and abundant relationship with time.

 Really. This one is worth it. Stop feeling like you are always late, there is no time, etc. Repeat the mantra below as many times per day as needed until you start believing it. Trust me. Not having time is an unconscious choice that you can deliberately change.

 "I have all the time I need to do what I need to do." Try it.

5. The first time, people come for the food, but they COME BACK because of YOU and YOUR PEOPLE.

CULTIVATE YOUR RELATIONSHIPS.

And have a nice weekend.



*When I say you are "going international" it does not mean you have to necessarily GO anywhere. It just means you are ready to communicate with the wider world.

No comments:

Post a Comment