Thursday, December 11, 2014

GRAMMA'S GOT A TABLET

It is never too late to be a late adopter. That is the good news.

My mother-in-law just bought a tablet. She does not have a smart phone. No. She is still using Your First Nokia (and it still works. Bless it!) with the default Nokia ringtone  She does not have Wi-Fi ("Did you say HI-FI?! Oh yes I DO!"). She has a vague idea of what the internet is. But she bought one anyway. Did I mention she shuns text messages as too complicated?

So what is it about the tablet that attracts even the closest of the closed minded? I will tell you, Dear Reader:

It is the photo finger swipe. Who doesn't remember having photo finger swipe envy before going Smart? That was Ages ago.

But even techno-phobe Nonna has her breaking point. See, it took a 4-year-old photo-finger-swiper to convince her that the jump is possible. Was it the latest swimming class footage that did the trick? It is hard to know.

Here are the reasons she herself gives:
"Sometimes I have a hard time spelling certain words when I do Crossword puzzles".
"When I am watching TV I want to look things up"
"I want to read books"
"I figured I could make some movies on it"
"I saw one for 99 euros and I thought I would buy it but I wanted to ask you first".

At any rate it was time to branch out. Training begins tomorrow night. We are putting the 4-year-old in charge.


No comments:

Post a Comment