Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Toy Fair Press Preview

So far today I have had my picture taken with Sam the Fireman, two Giant Frogs and two white Stormtrooopers (my childhood dream come true).

The fair itself actually starts tomorrow. Today is the Press Preview, and, guess what, thanks to the democracy of the internet, Bloggers who beg are considered journalists. 

Here are my initial observations of the fair so far:

1. Gifties are sparse and even the once-ubiquitous shopping bag give-out is greedily hoarded.
2. Toys for up to age 4 are puffy and round, even when made of hard plastic.
3. Toys get divided into boys vs. girls at about age 5. Well, no, also before. But at least for very small people there is a neutral choice (yellow).
4. After age 5 everything marketed towards girls is sexy. It is incredibly problematic. Embarassing really.
5. The companies that get my attention are the ones that go against traditional sex roles. There is one selling race tracks that you build yourself-- there are two little girls dressed up in racing gear demonstrating. Nice.
6. There are a couple of muscular super heroes walking around, but also women dressed up all sexy. It feels strange for a toy show.
7. MATTEL, SHAME ON YOU-  YOU ARE A COMPANY THAT HATES WOMEN. I hate to give them any press at all, but I just had to get that out of my system. The Barbie "fashion show" gave me the heebie jeebies this morning.
8. The most innovative and creative toys I found today were Canadian.
9. Only ONE booth featured educational toys anywhere near here. I will definitely give them a shout out when I have a moment. I realiye this is prime positioning that must be paid for, but come on!

More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment