Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Did you Know Kurt Could Knit?

Last week I had this breakthrough idea that I would teach an intensive English course to a mixed group of teens (it was already on the calendar, so this was not the breakthrough idea) in such a way as to make them forget they were studying English and, at the same time, pick up a skill I had always wanted to learn (it all comes back to me, doesn't it?).


I thought that one new skill per week of class would be a great way to round myself out in a way that does not involve eating (it is Summer, after all!). I found this Ted talk which gave me just the fodder I needed to try out my new tricks. 

WEEK ONE: JUGGLING 3 BALLS 

I thought juggling would be appropriate for week one. There was a girl in the class who could do one round with 3 balls and the rest of us were newbies. We started on Tuesday (the idea had just come to me Monday afternoon…) and the objective was to show off our moves by Friday. It wasn’t easy to put in 20 hours in three days, so most of us did not. It was an interesting exercise anyway. I continue to practice.

Our very special training video was this one.

On Friday all of us had made significant progress and we even created a whatsapp group (The Juggling Geniuses) so we could post our videos and progress over the summer. I was able to do one round with three balls, but I have to say toss two is still pathetic. I am going to have to continue my efforts. 

WEEK TWO: KNITTING A CHICKEN

Week two I decided to teach a skill I already knew how to do and felt grateful for: knitting.

When teaching new skills to teens the most important phase is the first: CONVINCING them it is a good idea. Juggling was easy. Who doesn't want to learn how to juggle? Knitting was a harder sell, but I did it. 

First I had to find famous people who knit. It is important to include men who knit too. I knew Russell Crowe was a knitter, but had no idea that Kurt Cobain was, too. Actually, this picture shows him crocheting, but no one seemed to notice. 


A decade ago, that picture up top would have been enough to convince any teen to knit. 

Here is my point, though. Today is day two, we had class for 3 hours. We were floating around between the classroom (where we started with knitting) and the kitchen (where we made homemade peanut butter) and the big room with the smart board. Well, at some point we were in the big room and I decided to give them a break. I said they could have seven minutes (random choice) to go to the bathroom, get some water, take a little walk, whatever. And that is just what I did, too. 

Well, when I got back to the classroom, there they all were... KNITTING. For FUN. Just BECAUSE. 

I was a little surprised, I have to say. The only kids who were not knitting were the ones who came today for the first time and learned briefly this morning. They had not gotten over the learning hump at that point and therefore had not found THE JOY of knitting yet. 
But they will, I hope. Hopefully they will find it by tomorrow. For the others, I send them this, the best present I could find on the internet: a knitted (well, probably crocheted) Kurt Cobain. I salute YOU. and THANK him. 
Plus, how awesome is this website where I found the two kurts: http://croshame.com/?
Chicks love guys with skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment