Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Thoughts on New York

I got back from the NYC toy fair a couple of weeks ago and life went back to normal immediately. Klementina and I did a quick wrap-up report before I shifted gears from toys to Italian wine and Cuisine (I am now getting ready for events in NYC in May and June. More on those later) and Klementina went on to another project as well. Our toys are still there and there is a lot to be said about them, but for the moment we are using our time differently in order to manage this new onslaught of exciting work.

Every time I go into something new I feel like a kid again, excited about discovering a new world, but also like a college student who woke up from a long stupor the day before mid-term exams. Freaking out about how much I still have to learn. Plus I am trying to get back on my wake-up-early kick but instead kicking myself when I just don't get up! Curses!

Anyway, I do have some thoughts on New York to share.

Bad.
1. Too many TVs. On the elevator in the hotel, in every taxi, in every restaurant. Enough already. It felt like I was on a never-ending Ryan Air flight. From the second you get there-- someone is always trying to sell you something. Hated that. Noisy and distracting.
Good.
2.  Taxis now accept credit card and you can tip without having cash. Finally.
Good.
3. Indian food. Japanese food. Mexican food. American food. Variety in general. Thank you!
Good.
4. Transportation. The ease of big city travel. Except for where we needed to go, which had almost no real option for arrival except by taxi or foot (Javitz center)
Good.
5. Bus to Cape Cod. Went overnight to see friends. Left early, got there early.
Good.
6. I know it's not NY but the visit to Falmouth was like a Big Vacation. No TVs. Quiet. Calm.
Good
7. Working with brother. Seeing sister-in-law. Staying at their house. So much better than a hotel.
Good.
8. We worked hard. We got good results. The trip was a success.
Bad.
9. We were always on the wrong side of town for seeing the Statue of Liberty. This bugs me. I love her. Not seeing Lady Lib is a bit like going to Paris and not seeing the Eiffel Tower, you feel like something is really wrong.
Bad
10. Getting my computer stolen out of the bag I decided to check last minute like an idiot but let's not blame the victim here  at JFK.
Good.
11. Travelling and working with Klementina. It's so easy. She thinks of everything I don't.
Good.
12. American Breakfasts, and grilled cheese.
Bad.
13. New York doesn't do hashbrowns and "Home Fries" don't absorb egg well.
Good.
14. Even the greasiest spoon dives have a vegetarian burger option.
Good.
15. New York is New York and it's one of the best places in the world.




No comments:

Post a Comment